Saturday, March 12, 2011

Episode 5 - A Wild Ride

This post merits an update from my cell phone.

First thing's first, we are still going to Japan. Yes, we are risking earthquakes and tsunamis and radiation in the name of vacation. We got word from Neil's friend Brian (who by the way is generously putting us up in Tokyo for 2 nights) that everything is coming back online in Tokyo and everything should be semi-normal by Monday. I also had a friend who just left for Japan this morning who will be updating us with any obstacles she comes across. All other destinations on our itinerary are mostly unaffected. We leave on Tuesday at 2pm as scheduled.

Secondly, Steven and I were just coming home from a quick trip to Reseda to borrow a backpack when Steven's temp gauge starts going all whack. We pull off the freeway and check under the hood to find an 8 inch crack in the radiator all steaming and bubbling. We thought we would have to live in the car forever because we called half a dozen nearby radiator shops which were all closed. We finally got an answer from a someone nearby who also wasn't open but gave us another phone number which happened to be the home number for a guy who was also closed. He was already in bed (yes, at 6pm) but said he could would meet us at his shop. Badda bing, we are now driving home with a brand new radiator! Despite the emergency status of the situation, we actually got a very good deal on the radiator. Mad props to A&L Radiator in Burbank for a good deal, quick and friendly service, but most of all, for this logo:




This has been a nice ending to a generally stressful week. I had 3 major events at work yet I am still trying to ride my bike in 10 times this month. This is proving difficult to do with missing 2 weeks of work and all. Monday morning I got a flat while riding in to work. Of course, I didn't notice the flat until I struggled the entire way up the Art Center hill. Almost 2 miles of a steep grade up and I made it the whole way without stopping with a flat! I didn't do any damage to the rim at all, thankfully! We patched up the hole that night and all was well. Wednesday night I made a rookie bicycling mistake which is not making up my mind quickly enough while clipped in to my pedals. Long story short, I ended up falling over. I fell to the right and broke the impact with my arm which was sore for a few days but basically fine now. I also hit my right knee and it bled a little bit but the most impressive wound is the bruise on my left leg.



That was taken on Thursday night. It's now darker and more spread out but I like this picture because of all the pretty colors. The bike was scraped up as well. I was talented enough to scratch both front handle bars and the right side of my seat and I also derailed the chain. Oh well, so my bike isn't quite as pretty as before. At least we're both better and I will continue to ride.

There were definitely some ups and downs this week but we're surviving. We've had a lot of unexpected hurdles just before our trip. I hope that means that we'll be on an upswing while in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment